Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Incremental Progress

So President Trump and Kim Jong Un signed an agreement at their summit today in Singapore. The text of it is available from pretty much any news site - I'll just post a link to this one because it's the one I had open while I was writing this.

I'm glad we did this. The agreement's not much; North Korea has broken deals with more weight behind them before. But if we want to lessen the risk of going to war with them, this is how we do it. Frankly, even if this doesn't ultimately lead to North Korea disarming and a more permanently peaceful relationship with them, I still think it's a good idea. It gives us more time at a lower risk of war, more time for the situation to change in other ways that might (or might not) take us closer to peace. It's not much of a chance, but it's still better than moving closer to war.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is what I suspect we're all about to hear from President Trump's more ardent supporters. I strongly suspect they're going to cheer for the progress we're making... despite the fact that they've criticized other politicians in the past for even suggesting that we should take steps in this direction. That's probably uncharitable of me; I should just be happy that they're willing to support what I think is the right answer... but if these people are going to support this course of action now, is it too much to ask to hear them admit that means they were wrong before?

No comments:

Post a Comment