Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Friday, May 25, 2018

Game review: SteamVR

Sorry I missed the last two days. In my defense, I've been a bit preoccupied with some of my other toys.

... such as my new VR headset.

About the only problematic part was the initial setup, and that only because I'm a bit short on power outlets and wall mounts. It's definitely not something one can pull out of the box, plug in, and be playing immediately - even without the problems I ran into, I don't see how I could have made the setup go any faster than about a half hour.

Everything else is quite unabashedly positive. The accuracy of the motion tracking for the controllers and the head tracking for the headset itself is very good; I was expecting that to be a bit less accurate, but as far as I can tell it's just about perfect. It's also surprisingly easy to forget that you're wearing the headset in the first place and really enjoy the feeling of immersion in whatever environment you've picked, even with the visible hash marks denoting the edge of the play area. (This does mean that I've so far smashed the controllers into the wall about three times. No serious damage to either controllers or wall yet, but I'm going to have to be careful going forward.)

Even without purchasing any games, there's a surprising amount of utility in the free SteamVR setup. There are a number of computer-generated environments, little games that just use basic movement and object manipulation, and real world environments brought into VR by taking hundreds of pictures of the area in question. The list of available places and free gaming options is only going to continue getting larger - and I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment