Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Wednesday, May 16, 2018

League of Legends: MSI 2018

I'm not that much of a fan of most sports - I'll watch football or basketball if I've got nothing else to do, and I keep track of a few teams - but I don't spend a great deal of time on it.

However, I do watch some e-sports quite religiously - mostly League of Legends. The group stage of the Mid-Season Invitational Tournament just ended... and the North American team is, as usual, going home with a bit of a disappointing performance. We just can't seem to manage much of anything at the international tournaments, although I suppose we did get pretty close to getting into the knockout stage this time.

Incidentally, it's kind of fascinating to note the ways in which each team's play is influenced by the trends from their home league. (Particularly how the Vietnamese teams are always incredibly aggressive.) The coldly logical side of me thinks that all of the leagues should converge more on whatever the optimal way to play the game is for a particular patch, but in practice the differences in play styles are quite noticeable. Which is probably why we keep losing, as much as it's kind of irritating to think that our entire region has somehow just settled on a worse way to play the game.

Still, I have faith we'll figure out how to compete and win internationally... eventually. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to cheer for the team from the EU instead. (Not that they're going to win, but then I'm used to hoping for my teams to beat seemingly impossible odds by now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment