Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Game Review: Contagion VR

... Okay, it's not much of a review, since I have yet to play much more than the demo.

A large part of what attracted me to this was the good experience I had with the original Contagion. It's a great mix of exploration, stealth, and FPS action that creates a great horror game, yet also gives you the tools you need to survive - if you're very good, very lucky, or ideally both. I don't like the sort of horror game that relies on jump scares and hopelessly deadly monsters chasing you, but the sort of creeping dread that Contagion creates from not knowing when the next door you're going to open or the next shot you're going to fire is going to attract a lot of zombies or not is something I... well enjoy is probably not the right word either.

Based on the five to ten minute runs through the demo, I'd say the VR version is going to be just as good. The fact that the inventory management system is moving the objects to where holsters or pockets would reasonably be located is a great touch all by itself, and jumping back and forth in real life to kite away from the zombies and then go back in to hit them with a melee weapon is a lot more adrenaline-inducing than kiting zombies in the original Contagion was. So it's making great use of the possibilities VR provides.

It will probably fall victim to some of the motion sickness flaws I've seen people complaining about, unfortunately. I haven't played it for long enough to have that problem, but I have played one or two other games where the difference between what my eyes were telling me and what my inner ear was telling me started to make me feel a bit nauseous. Still, I don't think I'm going to want to play this one for long stretches of time anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment