Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Patriotism's Meaning

I wonder how many people aren't really celebrating the 4th of July this year because they think their country no longer deserves the praise?

On one hand, I won't be doing the same; whatever else I may be, I'm still a patriot, I believe in the US, and I want us to keep doing well and growing stronger. On the other hand, that doesn't obligate me to agree with everything our country does or refrain from criticizing our decisions when I believe it's justified.

In fact, I think a true patriot has to avoid frantically trying to justify everything we do in order to avoid admitting error on our part. Wanting the best for our country and engaging in the sort of motivated reasoning necessary to avoid admitting error are contradictory, because the distorted view of reality the latter builds will interfere with any effort to actually improve the country and realize that dream of a just, virtuous, and powerful country. And that dream isn't something we can ever slap a "mission accomplished" label onto and then just rest on our laurels; it's something that will always be based on the effort we're currently putting into making our country great, how we're reacting to our errors, and how we're continuing to improve.

So I'll keep working to make sure we can do that, even as I recognize our country for the good we've done.

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment