Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Friday, August 31, 2018

Book Journal: Sword Art Online

... Because of course watching the anime itself or any of the movies isn't enough.

There's a weird thing that happens whenever I try to read the Japanese light novels that some of my favorite animes are based on: I get to the end of the portions that have been translated, get impatient with waiting for more translated volumes to be released, and decide that I am once again going to try to read these things in Japanese.

It's interesting to try, and it's good practice, and in the three months I had with the Japanese version of one of the light novels before the English translation was released, I made it about halfway through the prologue. My comprehension was good for the parts I did reach, but I do need to work a bit on how long that takes me. (The English version of the novel took me less than three hours, of course. For the whole thing.)

But either way. The light novels are just as good as the anime is (which is both praise and criticism, since there are good and bad things about the anime). I've rarely noticed any problems with material being removed or reorganized, unlike with many books that have been made into movies or TV shows in the US. Pacing tends to be kind of odd with them, though - the number of anime episodes that typically comes out of a light novel doesn't match well with the typical number of episodes in a season, which leads to breaks between seasons in weird places, but I don't usually mind that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment