Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Speedrunning for Charity

Every time I can, I make a point of watching the events that Games Done Quick puts on. Usually I only remember to look for it after the event is already mostly over, so I'm doing fairly well to have caught on relatively early in the week this time.

... But I'm getting ahead of myself. For anyone that doesn't know, Games Done Quick is a charity organization which raises money by gathering volunteers to play games as fast as they possibly can, stream it and their commentary online for people to watch, and using various incentives to solicit donations from the viewers. They're doing this 24/7 for the entire week, and the donations are going to benefit the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

Also, "as fast as possible" usually turns out to be downright ridiculous; watching these people complete games that took me tens of hours to complete normally in two or three is always amusing to watch. It's best when I actually am familiar with the game they're playing, but even unfamiliar games are fun to watch (and sometimes that ends with me deciding to play it myself).

If you like gaming, or like seeing people spend a ridiculous amount of time and effort to do fun and interesting things in new ways, it's probably worth a look. And if you can, it's definitely worth a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment