Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Monday, October 1, 2018

League of Legends Worlds 2018

The League of Legends World Championships start today! And unlike some other things that are called the world championships (I'm looking at you, World Series) this is actually a worldwide affair, with teams coming from 14 different regions, some of which represent multiple nations.

My decision about which team to back is pretty strongly based on country loyalty. Which basically means I want the US and Japanese teams to do well and don't want the Chinese and Russian teams to succeed. Then again, it also has something to do with cheering for the underdogs and not wanting some of the people who have always been on top to keep winning - which is why I'd prefer if Korea didn't do great despite generally liking them.

... Of course, I'm not likely to get much of what I want. Japan is doing better than average at an international tournament if they actually manage to win a game, and that's not likely to change this year. The US teams typically just barely fail to accomplish anything useful - which means Cloud 9's victory in the very first game played at Worlds is likely just getting all their fans worked up before we ultimately choke. And the Koreans have never done poorly, ever; only the Chinese teams have managed to take any tournaments off of them and that only recently. I suppose at least the Russians are probably going to lose, so at least I get a little of what I want.

Unfortunately I also don't get to watch in person, since tickets for these events sold out in minutes. I suppose I can hope to find someone selling their tickets (likely at a significant mark-up) but I might have to just watch from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment