Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Friday, September 21, 2018

Book Journal: Sins of Empire

I should probably be reading the second book in this series, since it's the one I haven't read, but it's been long enough since I read the first one that I wanted to remind myself what was actually going on here before I jump back in. (This happens to me more often than I would expect, given how good my memory usually is, but it's not like I actually mind.)

Sins of Empire is the start of the second series written by Brian McClellan. It's set in the same world as his first, although it centers on a different part of the world. I really like both; they've got a lot of interesting political intrigue, fight scenes, and a very interesting magic system. The magic system in particular feels very interesting and relevant even in a world that's closer to Napoleonic War tech than the typical fantasy setting that features magic. The fact that some of it uses gunpowder as a power source for magic probably helps in that regard.

The whole thing does get a bit convoluted (which is probably part of the reason why I'm having to re-read it in order to remember all the things that happened), but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment