Disclaimer


The content on this blog is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or the US Navy in any way.


Thursday, September 20, 2018

Double Standards

There's one other reaction (actually, there's probably more than that, but only one more I think I'll bother mentioning) to the accusations made by Dr. Ford regarding Judge Kavanaugh that I think is worth mentioning.

Specifically, there's a lot of Republicans who are arguing that they can't possibly give way on his nomination over this, because otherwise it would teach Democrats that they can just keep coming up with sexual assault allegations to derail their candidates and nominees with.

... Okay, I suppose that's just a specific example of the third response I mentioned in my last post. But I think it's worth mentioning in more detail, because it's gained quite a bit of traction for something that should be quite easy to disprove. Namely: If it's that easy for the Democrats to just come up with accusations of this sort, why isn't it more common?

One of the primary highlights of accusations that are generally believed, for example, is multiple women accusing the same person, so why would the Democrats only come up with one accusation to use against Kavanaugh if they could just make more? Or, if you prefer, why aren't more allegations of misconduct showing up in close Senate or House races? There are far more of those than there are accusations right now.

This isn't the sort of idea that can be used to discuss any specific incident, of course. However, I think it's important to remember that sometimes what we're not seeing happening can be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment